The Hockey World League Final 2017 took place in Bhubneshwar, India scheduled from 1st to 10th December 2017.
Australia eventually won the tournament for the record second time by getting the better of Rio Olympics Gold medalist Argentina in the final match by 2-1.
Indian hockey team, who failed to register any win in the group stages of Hockey World League Final, won at the right time to clinch the Bronze medal by defeating the mighty Germany by 2-1 in the bronze-medal playoff.
Indian Result at Hockey World League Final 2017, Bhubneshwar :
|India Vs Australia||Group B||1 December 2017: 7:30Pm||1-1||Draw||Mandeep Singh|
|India Vs England||Group B||2 December 2017 : 7:30Pm||2-3||England||Akashdeep Singh
|India Vs Germany||Group B||4 December 2017: 7:30Pm||0-2||Germany|
|India Vs Belgium||QuarterFinal||6 December 2017: 7:30Pm||3-3 (3-1)||India||Gurjant SIngh
|India Vs Argentina||Semifinal||8 December 2017: 7:30Pm||0-1||Argentina|
|India Vs Germany||Bronze Medal||10 December 2017: 6:30Pm||2-1||India||Harmanpreet Singh
S V Sunil
Group Stages :
- Indian hockey team, placed in Group B started the proceedings on a high note after playing a draw with World Champions Australia in a close encounter which ended with the score-line of 1-1. Mandeep Singh was the only Goal-scorer for India.
- Despite playing their heart out, India failed to register a win over England & lost the second group match by 2-3. At one- stage despite leading by 2-0, India failed to control their nerves & failed in the pressure situation. Akashdeep Singh & Rupinder Pal SIngh were the two goal-scorers for India.
- In the last group encounter, India was up against former World no.1 Germany. Indian team failed to convert any chances in the match & lost it by 0-2 to finish last in the group. Also, India failed to register any win in the group stages.
Knockout Stages :
- Despte, finishing with no win in the group stages, India was able to play in the knockout stages, thanks to the new rules & finally India was able to get better of Belgium when it mattered as the Blue men clinched the close Quarter-final encounter in Penalty Shoot-out by 3-1 to advance to the semi-finals.
- In the last 4 stage, India was up against Olympic Champions Argentina & it proved out to be a close encounter too as Indian players fought with their hearts out but one goal from the Argentina made the difference & eventually won the contest by 1-0.
Bronze-medal Play-off :
- India was up against Great Britain for the Bronze-medal & as expected it was a high intensity mach but it was India who had the last laugh as the match ended with the score-line of 2-1 in the favor of Blue Tigers. Harmanpreet Singh & S.V. Sunil were the two players who made the difference by registering their names on the goal-sheet.
|Team||Match Played||Won||Draw||Loss||Goal Difference||Point|