Aug 3, 8 months ago

Another setback for Maria Sharapova, pulls out of Stanford Open setback for Maria Sharapova, pulls out of Stanford Open

Maria Sharapova has suffered another injury setback in a frustrating 2017 as the Russian was forced to pull out of Stanford ahead of her second round match.

The five-time Grand Slam champion made the announcement on Wednesday.

“Unfortunately, I have to withdraw from today’s match,” Sharapova said in a statement. “Toward the end of Monday night’s match, I felt pain in my left forearm. After yesterday’s scan, the doctor has recommended I don’t risk further injury. Monday night’s crowd was so special and I wish I could continue playing, but I have to make a preventative decision.”

Sharapova, ranked 171st, defeated Jennifer Brady, 6-1, 4-6, 6-0, in her opener on Monday. This was the first WTA tournament she had played in the United States since 2015.

Sharapova had made her return from a 15-month doping ban in April before injury ruled her out of the grass-court season.

The Russian was slated to play seventh-seeded Lesia Tsurenko on Wednesday. With the walkover, Tsurenko will face either Madison Keys or Caroline Dolehide in the quarterfinals.

“This is definitely tough for Maria,” Bank of the West Classic tournament director Vickie Gunnarsson said. “She has so many fans, which was evident by the support she received here on Monday night. We wish her a speedy recovery and hope to see her back on the court soon.”

She is scheduled to play in the Rogers Cup in Toronto and Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati this month, but will have to go through qualifying to play at the U.S. Open if a wild card is not offered.


Sportstalk24 makes sure the users gets the best information about Live Cricket Score, Live football score, Sports Schedule and their favourite Sports Blog Posts.

Share "Another setback for Maria Sharapova, pulls out of Stanford Open" via

No comments yet.

Leave a reply

More in Tennis
9:35 pm, 5 days ago

Roger Federer Could loose his top spot in upcoming week ?

ROGER FEDERER is heading to Miami Open as world No 1 – but can he be toppled Pilot spot in upcoming weeks. The Swiss star suffered his first defeat of 2018 after going down in draining three-setter against 6th rank Juan Martin del Potro at Indi…

12:05 pm, 2 weeks ago

Yuki Bhambri upsets World No.12 Lucas Pouille to reach 3rd round of ATP Masters 1000 tournament.

Tennis has been growing in India for the over the last decade, with no greater evidence than singles star Yuki Bhambri’s recent progress on the ATP tour. India’s top-ranked men’s singles player Yuki Bhambri continued his dream run at the BNP Paribas …

9:59 pm, 4 weeks ago

Roger Federer likely to compete in Gerry Weber Open after missing recent ATP Tour

The new no. 1 Roger Federer will compete in lighter clay court tours in the coming months, so he can keep his body fit for upcoming summer’s bigger events. Federer had already used same playing style in past year and successfully won Wimbledon …