2017 has been a fantastic year for tennis with old guys dominating the season & showing that they still have gas left in their tanks. Meanwhile young players like Alexander Zverev, Denis Shapovalov and Nick Kyrgios also had a wonderful tennis season.
So also, the ladies’ division had many surprises too. Jeļena Ostapenko, was the stand out performer of the year, while Simona Halep and Garbiñe Muguruza, additionally had a similarly fruitful year. As the new season commences in three weeks, let’s check out the Tennis records broken during the 2017 season.
- After becoming the Australian Open Champion, Roger Federer became the first male player to win at least five singles titles at three different grand slam tournaments each.
- He went on to win Indian wells masters 1000 event, in the process of winning the title, he became the oldest male player to reach the finals and win a masters’ 1000 title.
- His record breaking season continued at grass court too as he won the Halle open for the record 9th time, defending Alexander Zverev in the finals. He also became only the second man to win the same title for more than eight times.
- He extended his record for the most number of titles won(19) at the majors after claiming the title at Wimbledon.
- By winning Wimbledon, he set a record for the most number of titles at the Wimbledon, and qualified for the year-end ATP world tour finals for a record 15th time.
- Federer, went on to extend his record as the oldest player to win a masters’ 1000 event, in Shanghai, beating his rival Rafael Nadal for a fifth consecutive time.
- Nadal won the record 10th title at the Monte Carlo open & became the first man to win the same title ten times.
- He went on to win the title at Barcelona, extending his record and winning a record tenth title. He also set the record for most number of masters’ 500 titles (18).
- He equaled the Djokovic’s record of 30 masters’ 1000 titles after claiming the Madrid Open.
- His excellence continued at French Open & by winning the title he became the first man in the open era to win 10 majors at the same tournament.
- Nadal’s win at US Open meant that it was the fourth time, that all the slams of the season, went to two players- Federer, and Nadal.
- David Goffin became the first Belgian player to break into the “top 10” singles rankings, after he stormed into the finals of the Rotterdam open.
- He also became the first Belgian player to qualify for the year-end ATP world tour finals, having had played as a replacement for the Frenchman, Gael Monfils, in 2016.
- Dimitrov became the first Bulgarian male player to qualify for the year-end ATP world tour finals tournament.
- He also won his first masters’ 1000 title in Cincinnati.
WTA Calendar Records
There were also a number of women’s tennis records broken in 2017.
- After her record 23rd title at the Australian open, Serena Williams became the first player to have a tally of 316 wins at the majors.
- Jelena Ostapenko, became the first unseeded player to win a major since 1993. She also set the record for the first Latvian player to clinch a title at a grand slam, as she won her maiden title at the Roland Garros.
- Sloane Stephens, won her first major title at the flushing meadows, and became only the second unseeded woman to win the US open, since Kim Clijsters.
- Simona Halep became only the seventh player to capture the year-end world number one spot, without ever winning a grand slam.
So as the season comes to an end, these were the tennis records broken in 2017. If we missed out some, you are welcome to remind us in the comments section !