US Open draw has become more interesting and wide as 5th seed Cilic & 10th seed John Isner suffers a shocking defeat at US Open 2017.
Here’s the results of Day 5 :
- SHARAPOVA BOOKS FOURTH ROUND SPOT
– Former world number one Maria Sharapova beat American teenage wildcard Sofia Kenin 7-5 6-2 to reach the last 16.
– Sharapova will meet Latvian Anastasija Sevastova in the next round.
- MISCHA KNOCKS OUT ISNER
– Germany’s 23rd seed Mischa Zverev beats American John Isner 6-4 6-3 7-6(5) in the third round.
– World number 15 Isner struggled to find his touch throughout the match as he committed 41 unforced errors to Zverev’s seven.
- SEVASTOVA STORMS INTO FOURTH ROUND
– Latvian Anastasija Sevastova, the women’s 16th seed, beat Croatian Donna Vekic 6-2 6-3, helped by her opponent’s 29 unforced errors.
- QUERREY DOWNS MOLDOVA’S ALBOT
– American 17th seed Sam Querrey beat unseeded Radu Albot 4-6 6-2 6-4 6-4.
– Querrey struck 19 aces and 49 winners as he closed out the match in just over two hours.
- VENUS DOWNS SAKKARI TO ADVANCE TO ROUND FOUR
– Venus Williams beat Greece’s Maria Sakkari 6-3 6-4 to advance to the fourth round, where she will face Spain’s Carla Suarez Navarro.
– Venus, the ninth seed, struggled with her serve against Sakkari, but had enough in her locker to get past her unseeded opponent in an hour and 15 minutes.
- ANDERSON CRUISES PAST CORIC IN STRAIGHT SETS
– Big-serving South African kevin Anderson, the men’s 28th seed, beat unseeded Croatian Borna Coric 6-4 6-3 6-2.
– Anderson, who dished out 12 aces and 32 winners without dropping his serve, faces Italy’s Paolo Lorenzi in the fourth round.
- POUILLE GETS PAST KUKUSHKIN IN FOUR SETS
– Frenchman Lucas Pouille, the men’s 16th seed, beat Kazakhstan’s Mikhail 2-6 6-3 6-4 6-4 to set up a fourth-round clash with Argentine Diego Schwartzman.
- GOERGES DOWNS KRUNIC IN STRAIGHT SETS
– German Julia Goerges, the women’s 30th seed, beat Serbia’s Aleksandra Krunic 6-3 6-3 in the third round.
– Goerges struck six aces and 27 winners during the match, and will face unseeded American Sloane Stephens next.
- MUGURUZA MAKES SHORT WORK OF RYBARIKOVA
– Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza, the third seed, cruised into the fourth round with a dominant 6-1 6-1 victory over Slovakia’s Magdalena Rybarikova.
– The Spaniard will take on two-times Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova next. Czech Kvitova, the 13th seed, beat France’s Caroline Garcia earlier on Friday.
- SHAPOVALOV THROUGH AFTER EDMUND RETIRES
– Canadian Denis Shapovalov beat Kyle Edmund 3-6 6-3 6-3 1-0 after the Briton retired just after the start of the fourth set with a neck injury.
– Shapovalov will meet Spain’s Pablo Carreno Busta in the fourth round.
- SUAREZ NAVARRO BEATS MAKAROVA
– Carla Suarez Navarro held her nerve against Russian Makarova to win their third-round clash 6-1 3-6 6-3.
– The Spaniard will face either American ninth seed Venus Williams or Greece’s Maria Sakkari in the fourth round.
- STEPHENS THROUGH TO FOURTH ROUND
– American Sloane Stephens beat Australia’s Ashleigh Barty 6-2 6-4 to reach the fourth round of a grand slam for the first time in two years.
- SCHWARTZMAN PULLS OFF CILIC UPSET
– Argentina’s Diego Schwartzman defeated fifth-seeded Croatian Marin Cilic 4-6 7-5 7-5 6-4 to reach the fourth round of a grand slam for the first time.
– Cilic becomes the 15th seeded men’s player to exit the competition.
- CARRENO BUSTA CRUISES PAST MAHUT
– 12th-seeded Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta hit 32 winners to beat Frenchman Nicholas Mahut 6-3 6-4 6-3 and seal a fourth- round spot.
– The 26-year-old has progressed past the third round of the U.S. Open for the first time, as he targets a first grand slam title.
- KVITOVA EASES INTO FOURTH ROUND
– Kvitova beat France’s Garcia 6-0 6-4 to book a spot in the U.S. Open fourth round for the third year in a row.
– The 13th seed has progressed to the fourth round of a grand slam for the first time this year, following her return from a long-term injury layoff in May.