but nowadays, the term is used for every match happen between the two teams.
Basically, the term El-Clasico was used for the Real Madrid vs FC Barcelona matches in La-Liga (Spain's football championship)
The rivalry between the two teams is more than hundred years old but the fire between the two clubs gets increased when the players walk out in the field.
The match between the two renowned clubs has become too famous that it almost gives fight to highly-anticipated UEFA Champions League Final with hundreds of millions of supporters.
Head To Head (Barca Vs Madrid):
- 175 meetings in La Liga
- Real Madrid - 72 Wins, 41% winning ratio
- Barcelona - 70 Wins, 40% winning ratio
- Draws - 33
History of El-Clasico
The rivalry between the the two most successful clubs in football started with an political backstory and contrasts in how both clubs were made. FC Barcelona was founded by Joan Gamper along with several foreign-born players in 1899, whereas Madrid was founded with Spaniards at the helm in 1902. Madrid had been long considered as the political and social center of Spain. Regional rivalries would be generated due to the nation’s focus on Madrid, which geographically was also in the center of Spain.
When the King of Spain, Alfonso XIII, came in 1902, Madrid hosted a tournament and invited FC Barcelona and Basque club Vizcaya. Barcelona defeated Real Madrid, then known as Madrid FC 3-1, but fell to the Basques in the final of the tournament, loosing by 2-1. The series between the clubs continued for a decade, with the Catalans victorious in most of the contests. The rivalry would begin to pick up its’ competitive embers in 1905.
FC Barcelona was considered to be the symbol of the Catalan people by the centralist government in the 1930s. Military general Francisco Franco, disenchanted with the changing political climate in Spain with the fall of the monarchy, staged a Coup d’état in 1936, leading to a bloody Civil War victory for his Nationalist side in 1939.
Over the years, the contrasts on how the two teams operated became clear, yet very effective. Real Madrid has a very business-based approach as they buy players to play for them whereas FC Barcelona developed their players through their system to play for their club.
- A RIVALRY WITH 115 YEARS OF HISTORY.
- MESSI, TOP SCORER WITH 21 GOALS
- MANUEL SANCHIS: MOST el clásico APPEARANCES
- The 8-2 in 1934/35, WIDEST MARGIN OF DEFEAT IN MADRID
- NO 0-0 DRAWS FOR 15 YEARS
- RAMOS AND INIESTA: THE LAST SPANIARDS TO SCORE IN A CLASSICO
- REAL MADRID HAVE SCORED FOR 55 CONSECUTIVE GAMES
Terms and Phrases around El Clasico:
- Culé (arse) or Barcelonista, are usually the words used for the Barca Fans, the reason for these nicknames is back in 20th century, when FC Barcelona usually played at the ground situated in la calle (street) de la Industria. The support was such that the fans used to sit on the wall that surrounded the pitch and that's how they were named as culers, meaning those that show their backsides.
- Merengues or Madridistas are the terms used for Madrid fans and the reason for this nickname goes to color of their t-shirts.
- Real Madrid's press has given a name to Barcelona's fear of losing! Yes, you heard it right. Canguelo, is the term used for the Barca's fear of losing the league title. Quite interesting!
- You know what word is used to refer Barça's 5-0 win? It's La manita !
- Villarato word refers to a situation where Madrid fans thinks that the actual reason for Barcelona's victory was Spanish referees.
Barcelona's coach Luis Enrique said he is preparing for Sunday’s “must-win” el classico against Real Madrid without Neymar as Spain’s Court for Sport (TAD) warned the Catalan club there could be consequences if they field the suspended Brazilian.
Neymar was sent off for two yellow cards against Malaga earlier this month, earning an automatic one-match ban. But sarcastically applauding the fourth official resulted in increase of ban by 2 matches which means he will be missing the match.
Barca are three points behind La Liga leaders Real Madrid, having played a game more and know a loss would be quite impossible to stop Real securing a first title in five years.
“It’s a special game because of the moment we are in the season; the game against our great rival, who are top of the table. We need to nullify their qualities, any result but a win would do us no good whatsoever,” Luis Enrique said.
Real Madrid : Navas; Carvajal, Ramos, Nacho, Marcelo; Modric, Casemiro, Kroos; Bale, Benzema, Ronaldo
Barcelona : Ter Stegen; Mascherano, Piqué, Umtiti; Rakitic, Busquets, Iniesta; Messi; Roberto, Suárez, Alba
With the form Real Madrid & Ronaldo has been in with the inclusion of Bale, they are surely favourite to win the El-Clasico !